What Causes Traumatic Brain Injuries?
The number of people in the United States who live with the effects of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is higher than most people suspect, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC estimates that about 1.7 million TBIs occur in the U.S. each year and that they play a contributing role in about 30 percent of all injury-related deaths.
Even a mild TBI can cause lingering problems with mood, memory, learning, movement, speech, and sleep. A moderate or severe TBI may cause lifelong disabilities or even death.
Although it is difficult to determine exactly how common traumatic brain injuries are and what causes them, the CDC estimates that the most common causes of TBI include:
- Falls. This category includes both slip and fall accidents and accidents in which a person falls from a height, such as falling off scaffolding. Falls are one of the top causes of TBI for older adults in particular.
- Motor vehicle and pedestrian accidents. Being in a car crash can cause traumatic brain injuries, whether one is inside a vehicle when the crash occurs or is struck by a vehicle while walking or riding a bicycle.
- Collision-related events other than car accidents. This category includes any incident in which a person strikes or is struck by an object. For instance, a construction site accident in which an object falls from a height and strikes a person passing by would fall into this category.
- Violent assaults, including gunshots, fistfights, and similar attacks.
- Sports-related injuries, which may occur either during practice or competition in any number of ways, depending on the sport. Full contact sports like football present a particularly high risk.
If another party’s negligence has caused you or a loved one to sustain a brain injury, reach out to an experienced Nebraska personal injury attorney for legal assistance.
- Birth Injury
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- Catastrophic Injury
- Child Injury
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Dog Bite
- Firm News
- Hospital Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Train Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Patrick Cullan and Joseph Cullan Named to Irish Legal 100
October 26, 2017
- Omaha Truck v. Train Collision Sends Pork Flying
October 15, 2017
- What a Nebraska Accident Can Teach Us About Liability
October 1, 2017
- Causes of Omaha Bus Accidents
June 21, 2016