Bicycle Injury Statistics at a Glance
Bicycling is seen by many Nebraskans as a great way to get exercise, reduce their carbon footprint, and enjoy fun in the summer weather. Children may be especially excited to get their own bicycles so they can develop their growing sense of independence, whether by traveling to school or engaging in other activities.
However, when a motor vehicle collides with a bicycle, serious injuries can result. Here is a quick look at the size of the bicycle accident problem in Nebraska and nationwide:
- Approximately 300 crashes between a bicycle and a vehicle occur in Nebraska each year.
- Bicycle crash deaths have held steady in Nebraska in recent years, hovering around 2 to 3 deaths per year. Nationwide, 632 deaths in bicycle-vehicle crashes occurred in 2011 alone.
- Bicycle accident injury numbers have been dropping in Oklahoma, however. In 2012, 328 people were injured in a collision between a bicycle and a vehicle; by 2014, that number had dropped to 249 injuries.
- Nationwide, about 100 children are killed and 254,000 are injured in bicycle accidents. Accidental injury is the number-one cause of childhood deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and bicycle accidents add to this total.
- Nationwide, the number of bicyclist deaths dropped 7.5 percent between 2001 and 2011, but the number of injuries rose 8.9 percent in the same period.
The experienced Omaha child injury attorneys at Cullan & Cullan LLC can help you seek the compensation you deserve if a negligent driver or other party causes a bicycle crash. Contact us today to learn more.
- Birth Injury
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- Catastrophic Injury
- Child Injury
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Dog Bite
- Firm News
- Hospital Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Train Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Patrick Cullan and Joseph Cullan Named to Irish Legal 100
October 26, 2017
- Omaha Truck v. Train Collision Sends Pork Flying
October 15, 2017
- What a Nebraska Accident Can Teach Us About Liability
October 1, 2017
- Causes of Omaha Bus Accidents
June 21, 2016