How Common Are Injuries from Nursing Home Abuse, Neglect, or Accidents?
About 40 million Americans are currently over the age of 65, according to the 2010 Census data. Increasing numbers of these elderly U.S. residents require nursing home care. While Nebraska families do their best to choose nursing homes that provide quality care, injuries resulting from abuse, neglect, or accidents are unfortunately quite common, as many Nebraska nursing home injury lawyers know.
How common are nursing home-related injuries? It’s difficult to get an accurate estimate, especially when the injuries are the result of abuse or neglect. This is because nursing home residents are often unwilling, and occasionally unable, to report on the hardships they are experiencing.
A 2010 study conducted at Cornell University produced the following statistics:
- For every injury resulting from abuse or neglect reported to the authorities, an estimated 14 to 24 injuries go unreported.
- Psychological injury is the most common injury resulting from abuse or neglect, although financial exploitation of elderly individuals is a close second.
The National Elder Mistreatment Study found that, when asked, 7 to 10 percent of nursing home residents responded that they had been subjected to abusive or neglectful treatment in the previous 12 months. While not all of these cases resulted in injuries, the risk of serious harm was always present, and in some cases serious harm did occur.
Families who wish to protect their loved ones from harm can learn a great deal about nursing homes’ past records by doing Internet research or by speaking to an experienced attorney. If you suspect injury due to abuse or neglect, don’t hesitate to talk to a lawyer about your loved one’s rights.
- Birth Injury
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- Catastrophic Injury
- Child Injury
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Dog Bite
- Firm News
- Hospital Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Train Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Patrick Cullan and Joseph Cullan Named to Irish Legal 100
October 26, 2017
- Omaha Truck v. Train Collision Sends Pork Flying
October 15, 2017
- What a Nebraska Accident Can Teach Us About Liability
October 1, 2017
- Causes of Omaha Bus Accidents
June 21, 2016