Understanding the Risks of Brain Injury in Nebraska
A recent BIANE study found that:
- On an average day in Nebraska, 24 people visit the emergency room, 3 people are hospitalized, and 1 person dies from a TBI.
- Over 300,000 Nebraskans live with traumatic brain injuries, including over 36,000 who live with permanent disabilities caused by a TBI.
- TBIs cost Nebraska families over $314 million each year. This number includes medical care, lost wages, and other costs related to the injury.
- Emergency visits for TBI in Nebraska are higher than the national average and have been increasing over the past five years.
- Falls are the most common cause of TBI in Nebraska, especially in children under one year of age and in adults over age 65. Focusing on fall prevention in homes, daycares, and nursing homes or assisted living facilities can help reduce the rate of traumatic brain injuries.
- On average, a severe TBI will cost a family $3 million over a lifetime. Even a mild TBI will cost a family about $85,000 over a lifetime. This makes traumatic brain injury one of the most expensive types of injuries.
If you're living with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in Omaha, you're not alone. Talking to an experienced Omaha TBI attorney can help you understand your legal rights and take action if you suspect your injury was caused by the negligence of another person or company.