Omaha Forceps Injury Attorney
FORCEPS DELIVERY INJURY
Have you or a family member recently given birth in the state of Nebraska? Was the procedure handled with relative ease? Or were their unforeseen complications that ultimately led to an injury? Depending on how these complications occurred and your overseeing doctor's response, you may have grounds to take legal action. To discover what rights and options you may have, contact the Omaha forceps injury attorneys at Cullan & Cullan LLC. For years, the physician and trial lawyer team of Joseph and Patrick Cullan have helped families just like yours recover the kind of compensation they deserve following a complicated and potentially damaging birth.
For more information or to schedule a free consultation, call (402) 882-7080 today.
Why Are Forceps Used During The Birthing Process?
In a vast majority of the cases, birth injuries caused by forceps occur when either the mother or the baby is in distress (an example is shown below). Forceps are often brought into the equation to help extract the baby as quickly as possible, should an issue arise. Some of the more common situations that warrant the use of forceps include:
- The labor has come to a standstill
- The baby's head is turned around or in the wrong position
- The baby has an irregular heart rhythm or has stopped altogether
- The mother's cervix has been dilated and the baby's head is within reach
- The mother's health is in serious danger and could be jeopardized without immediate action
- Consent has been provided by the family to use forceps and they understand the procedure
What Are Some of The Common Birth Injuries Associated With Forceps?
At first glance, forceps resemble oversized salad tongs or similarly shaped instruments. These are not gentle tools by any means and probably not the first device you would consider during the birth of a child. However, they can become a necessity under the right circumstances. But in unskilled or negligent hands, they can cause terrible harm. Some of the forceps injuries we have encountered over the years include:
- Deep lacerations or tears to the mother's lower genitals
- Severe damage or tears to the mother's perineum
- Injuries to the mother's urethra or bladder
- Intracranial hemorrhages in babies
- Critical injuries to the baby's eyes
- Paralyzing injury to the baby
- Erb's palsy in children
- Skull fractures
Real World Experience, Real Life Results
As attorneys and medical practitioners, Cullan & Cullan LLC is uniquely suited to help you and your family when it comes to issues of medical malpractice. We understand the degree of skill that is required to properly birth a child and we also know how quickly a relatively smooth delivery can spiral out of control, resulting in a lifetime of pain and suffering.
If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt or left with crippling injuries following a recent birth procedure, it may be time to seek proper legal counsel. Contact our office at (402) 882-7080 and schedule an appointment to speak with our team of understanding litigators. You have options and we can help you explore them – call today.