Semi trucks are a large and menacing presence on Nebraska roads. How dangerous they can only get worse in icy winter weather conditions. If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a winter accident with a commercial truck, you’ll need to speak with an experienced attorney.
Nebraska personal injury lawyers at Cullan & Cullan LLC have represented accident victims and their families for years. We’re dedicated to every client. Let us stand up for you against trucking companies and their insurance while you focus on healing.
Call us today at (402) 882-7080 to discuss your situation. We are here to help.
Tractor Trailers and Passenger Cars on the Road
Semi trucks, or tractor trailers, are way bigger than almost every car on the road. The average passenger car weighs about a ton and a half (or about 3,000 pounds). A loaded tractor-trailer can weigh up to 40 tons (about 80,000 pounds). This is almost 30 times as much.
Trailers also need a lot more effort to come to a complete stop than smaller cars. The average car moving 60 m.p.h. can reach a complete stop in 140 feet. A truck doing the same speed will need about 400 feet to stop. These are in dry conditions. Imagine the difference when you add in snow, sleet, or ice. The chance of someone getting hurt goes way up.
Common Causes of Winter Truck Accidents
Ice and snow may make any kind of driving more difficult. For truckers, winter is especially rough. In the winter months, the actions of a trucker aren’t the same as the rest of the year. Here are some of the most common reasons for winter truck accidents:
- An unprepared truck: Throughout winter, truckers have to constantly check tires, engine parts, electrical parts, and exhaust systems to make sure trucks are handling the winter. Failing to keep tabs on a truck can lead to mechanical failures and accidents.
- Using summer behavior: Drivers need to put extra distance between their rigs and other cars. Slow down while driving in harsh conditions and brake much earlier than normal.
- Distracted Drivers: Truckers drive long hours behind the wheel. Some get distracted by texting, talking on the phone, or even watching videos on electronic devices while driving. These all lead to accidents.
- Drivers fighting deadlines: Because of deadlines, some truckers push on when the weather gets bad. Driving in low visibility is dangerous for anyone; it’s dangerous to a lot of people on the road when a trucker does it.
Our Nebraska Winter Weather Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help!
If you or a family member is involved in a tractor trailer accident, contact an experienced Omaha winter weather truck accident attorney. Don't trust the trucking company's insurer to offer you the settlement you deserve. Don’t ever speak to an insurance company without consulting an attorney first. Cullan & Cullan LLC truck can help you receive compensation for damages, such as:
- Property damage and loss
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages due to time off from work
- Physical therapy/rehabilitation
- Permanent injury or disability
If you've lost a loved one in an accident, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. Compensations in a wrongful death claim can help pay for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering of the victim before they died
- Loss of future income
- Loss of future benefits
- Loss of love, affection, companionship, etc.
- Loss of household duties the deceased performed (childcare, chores, etc.)
If you've been injured or lost a loved one in an accident with a semi truck, contact a seasoned Nebraska big rig accident attorney. The team at Cullan & Cullan LLC has represented injury victims for years. We can help you.
Call (402) 882-7080 today for a free, comprehensive consultation.